Swelling of the legs – a very common problem that worries a large number of people of different sex and age. How to remove swelling in the legs?
First of all, you need to understand the causes of the symptom.
The occurrence of edema may be associated with a serious pathology and at the same time be one of its symptoms. These diseases include:
- Cardiovascular pathology. Heart failure is one of the most common causes of swelling in the legs.
- Problems with the urinary system – kidney disease leads to disruption of water and electrolyte balance in the body.
- Traumatic effects on tissue – sprains, bruises, fractures.
- Varicose veins, thrombophlebitis and other lesions of the venous system.
- Endocrine system pathologies: diabetes mellitus and diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, hypothalamus and pituitary, and also an imbalance of sex hormones.
These pathologies may be accompanied by pain of varying intensity, shortness of breath, coughing, change in the color of the skin and temperature of the extremities.
Factors that provoke the formation of pathology
Such factors as wearing uncomfortable shoes or high-heeled shoes, overweight, excessive use of salt and carbohydrates, sedentary lifestyle can also cause puffiness of legs.
It can also be alcohol consumption, irrational physical exertion, pregnancy, prolonged use of certain drugs (glucocorticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, hormones, calcium antagonists), prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures, insufficient or excessive fluid intake.
Prevention of edema
In order to effectively remove leg swelling, it is necessary to find out the cause of their occurrence and be sure to consult with your doctor.
If the cause is a disease, then you need to undergo a full examination, after which the doctor will make a diagnosis and prescribe adequate therapy to remove the edema. If the appearance of swelling is not associated with diseases, then you can follow some recommendations to eliminate swelling in the legs and prevent their formation:
- normalization of body weight, adherence to a rational diet with a balanced content of proteins, carbohydrates and fats;
- the choice of comfortable shoes that will not squeeze the legs;
- consuming the optimum amount of fluid and minimizing salt intake;
- regular sports activities, especially swimming and cycling;
- when sitting, it is recommended to take breaks for small physical exercises – walking, squats and other types of warm-ups.
In order to quickly remove the swelling in the legs, you can use some popular recipes.
The main principle of traditional medicine in this case is to reduce the amount of fluid in the body with decoctions, tinctures or tea with a pronounced diuretic effect.
It is possible to remove puffiness on the legs with the help of herbal preparations, it has long been known. The most popular plants that have a diuretic effect are birch buds, chamomile, calendula (both flowers and leaves are used), parsley, St. John’s wort, knotweed, horsetail, motherwort, and corn silk. Broths of the listed herbs can also be frozen and ice cubes used for local massage, compresses.
In the summer season, to reduce puffiness, it is recommended to eat watermelon, strawberries, lingonberries and all types of greenery.
Remove swelling in the legs and some physiotherapy procedures that can be easily done at home.:
- Cold and hot shower . This procedure very effectively improves blood microcirculation, which helps to quickly remove lower limb edema.
- To improve the venous outflow will help raise the legs above the level of the heart, while it is necessary to take a recumbent position and put a soft roller under your feet.
- It is useful to make foot baths with sea salt and the addition of essential oil of mint.
- Massage of the feet and legs improves the local blood circulation and removes puffiness of the legs.
- Perform special gymnastic exercises for the toes, feet: try to lift small objects with your fingers, make your feet rotate first in one and then in the opposite direction, stand on the toe and then slowly lower on the heel.