Essential oils for hair loss are often used in the care of curls. However, it makes sense to use them only on the basis of some basic one, since the mechanism of their influence is very far from the effect of ordinary oil.
Volatile oil-like liquids, insoluble in water and characterized by a strong characteristic odor are known under this name. Oil in the literal sense of the word, they are not at all. Liquids do not leave greasy traces on the skin or on paper, as they evaporate quickly at normal temperature.
Essential oils are extracted only from plants, usually by distillation with water vapor and dissolving in the base oil. Sometimes substances are dissolved in alcohol, ether, wax – on dissolving in alcohol most of the production of perfumes is based. At home, substances dissolved in fats are used.
The biologically active component of the compositions are terpenes and terpenoids – their derivatives, compounds with a large number of unsaturated carbon bonds, thanks to which the substances are so active.
They affect the human body as follows:
- essential oils protect the plant from microorganisms: due to high chemical activity, terpenes destroy most of the pathogenic microflora. The same effect, although more limited, they have on the human body. Especially recommended for this eucalyptus, clove, pine oil;
- the same activity contributes to the suppression of inflammation – camphor, for example, serves as an excellent anti-inflammatory agent;
- coriander oil or mint has antispasmodic activity;
- Lavender and Valerian have a noticeable sedative effect;
- very useful in stimulating the immune system of tea tree oil, rose, orange – they create a feeling of cheerfulness.
To understand what the essential oil has what effect, helps the smell. The fragrance itself is a kind of “marker”, although the real effect of the substance, of course, is provided by the work of the terpenes. Oily liquids are not carriers of vitamins.
The physiological effect of the substance is carried out by several mechanisms.
- Upon contact with the skin, the compounds cause some irritation, which provokes hyperemia – blood flow to this area. To strengthen the hair, or rather, the hair follicles, this effect is used.
- Substances dissolved in solid fats are used as rubbing in inflammations: they suppress local inflammations, and, once partially in the blood, have the same general effect.
- Essential oils irritate the nerve endings, which stimulates the organs and tissues associated with them. Therefore, it is useful to use them for massage, including the scalp.
- Also, substances irritate the mucous noticeably stronger. However, when ingested, for example, they contribute to increased production of gastric juice and bile, on which their use in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases is based.
Essential oils are used in the smallest quantities. Their abuse leads to burns, severe mucosal lesions, impaired blood circulation, which is especially dangerous during pregnancy and menstruation in women. During this period, their application is better to refuse.
The effect of exposure to substances is based on irritation of the scalp and improved blood circulation. At the same time, the hair bulb receives more nutrients and oxygen. And, therefore, the hair is formed stronger, grows longer, and the resting phase of the bulb does not exceed the prescribed 90-120 days.
Essential oils are dissolved in the base, and the latter have another effect – envelop the hair, creating a protective film, prevent moisture loss and in some way restore the cortex.
Substances with seborrhea and bacterial inflammations are very effective. Essential oils are excellent bacteriostatic, their constant use destroys the causative agents of ailments and promotes hair restoration.
The list of the most effective against the fallout of esters is as follows:
- Rosemary – serves as an excellent stimulator of cellular metabolism, activates the activity of hair follicles and positively affects the structure of the hair shaft;
- tea tree – the leader among antimicrobial agents, indispensable in the treatment of seborrhea;
- Lavender – has a general sedative effect, is used for irritation of the scalp and with very high sensitivity;
- Pine oil – another great helper in the fight against dandruff, and, therefore, hair loss;
- Rose oil has a very complex composition, serves as a stimulator of cellular metabolic processes, promotes hair growth and restore the activity of the bulbs;
- mint – increases blood circulation, which improves the nutrition of hair follicles.
Essential oils can be useful only in the case when the strands fall out due to mechanical reasons: frequent staining, prolonged exposure to the sun, abuse of curling, hairdryer, ironing, as well as during recovery after an illness. However, in cases where hair loss is associated with the current disease – endocrine system disorders, nervous tension, alas, terpenes are powerless.
Tips to help you choose an oil to strengthen and moisturize hair:
Before using any oil, you must conduct a skin test. Plant substances are often allergens. If after 2 hours after applying a droplet – diluted in the base, even in sunflower, on the elbow bend, the skin does not redden or swell, the substance can be used as a part of masks.
Self essential oils are never used. They have a positive effect only at very low concentrations.
- The simplest recipe requires only the selection of an appropriate essential oil. 10 drops of the agent are added to the required volume of burdock, almond, peach or other basic, rubbed into the roots and scalp and left overnight. It is preferable if the composition is applied to dirty hair in order to wash off the remnants in the morning with a shampoo.
- The basis of the following mask, used for hair loss, is any base mixed with natural honey and egg yolk. The volume of the mask should correspond to the length of the hair: it is applied to the skin, and then distributed along the length. Before applying to the mixture add 3 drops of cedar and 3 drops of rosemary oil. The mask is applied to clean hair and washed off after 30–40 minutes.
- Two drops of ylang-ylang oil, basil and rosemary are added to two beaten egg yolks. If growth stimulation is required, it is better to add another drop of black pepper oil. Do not be zealous, otherwise the mixture will be too “burning.” The ingredients are mixed to a uniform consistency, rubbed into the skin and wrapped for half an hour. Then wash off with shampoo.
- In a mixture of a tablespoon of honey and castor oil add 3 drops of cinnamon and rose oil. The mixture is rubbed into the skin, cover the head with plastic and a warm towel. The wrap is held for 1.5–2 hours, after which the head is washed with shampoo.
Masks do 2-3 per week. The course is 10-15 procedures, after which you should take a break for 20-30 days and repeat the course.
From masks differ mainly in simpler composition. Massage movements by themselves activate blood circulation, and together with aroma oils become an excellent stimulator of hair growth.
- Ca simple mixture is practically no different from a simple mask, except in volume. To 1 tablespoon of base oil – burdock, peach, jojoba, add 4–5 drops of essential oil. Selected based on the condition of the skin. For irritations, it is better to use lavender, rosemary, with pronounced dandruff oil of pine, cedar, tea tree is preferable. Well, to stimulate the hair follicles are indispensable orange, or basil oil.
- For massage, this composition is good: 40 ml of primrose oil, 10 ml of jojoba, 20 ml of black cumin and 12-15 drops of bey. The latter is quite rare, although it is considered one of the best growth promoters.
The mixture is rubbed into the scalp for at least 10-15 minutes. It is preferable to hold the composition on the curls until half an hour after the massage, and then wash it off.
Even the best care products have contraindications and restrictions in use. This fully applies to mixtures that include terpenes. Their very high chemical activity at the same time is the cause of efficiency, and the main restriction on the application.
- The main limitation is an allergic reaction. In the preparation of any mixture, each component must be checked individually using a skin test and then used. Rash, redness and swelling of the skin is not the worst option. There may be much more pronounced allergic reactions up to angioedema.
- Odor intolerance is a direct contraindication to use, as odor is an indispensable participant of such therapy.
- Pregnant women should not use substances that are pronounced stimulants of blood circulation: rosemary, sage, pine, juniper and others.
- In diseases of the vascular system, as well as after a heart attack or stroke can not use oil of pine and basil.
- Children under 6 years old are strictly forbidden to add essential oils to care products. The immune system is not yet sufficiently developed, and such an active substance can turn with the strongest allergen.
Essential oils, as practice shows, love and are able to use women who value aromas. With low sensitivity to this factor, the effect seems less significant. Feedback is usually positive. However, many fans of aromatherapy are confused by the noticeable difference in the consistency and smell of compositions from different manufacturers.
Very helpful oil bey against loss. Add to burdock oil, rubbed into the scalp and leave for 1-2 hours. Warm wrapping is optional. But you can’t use it for blondes: the hair becomes darker.
I add lavender and mint oil to hair masks. I really like the feeling of freshness that creates such a mix. I try to mix with a light basis – almond, peach. With burdock feeling is not like that.
I prepare a mask from jojoba, yolk and honey. And to the mixture already add a few drops of tea tree, or orange, or mint. I do not like to mix several substances – the smell is lost. In the shampoo and balm also add a few drops.
Svetlana, 27 years old:
Dandruff is my old problem. With oily hair it is impossible to get involved in oil wraps, but you should add essential oils to kefir, for example, a mask. I like juniper and pine oil most of all, but eucalyptus is also good, although not everyone likes it for its peculiar smell.
I like to use aroma oils. And I make baths with them, and masks, and wraps. From a loss personally, I recommend rosemary oil, especially in combination with cedar.
Essential oils from hair loss and draining are a useful and effective component of an oil mask, shampoo, balm or other care products. However, it is extremely important to follow the recommendations for use, since these substances are very active.
See also: How to choose the best essential oil for hair (video)