Disney with great success revives its cartoons in the form of live paintings with real actors.
So, the Jungle Book brought the studio $ 966.6 million, Maleficent $ 758.5 million, and Beauty and the Beast brought $ 1.26 billion.
King Lion, Mulan, Dumbo and Aladdin will follow. Aladdin will be on the screen very soon – the shooting has already passed, the team is busy with the soundtrack, editing and additional voice acting.
; Aladdin – classic Disney animation. The 1992 full-length film earned $ 504 million at the box office and won two Oscars for the best song and soundtrack composed by Alan Menken.
The cartoon of Ron Clements and John Musker tells about a thief from Agraba Aladdin streets, whom the vizier and magician Jafar incited to steal a magic lamp with a genie inside. Djinn fulfills all the desires of the owner – so Aladdin turned into a prince Ali, charmed the princess Jasmine. It seemed that happiness was close, but Jafar interfered in the matter with his machinations …
; Aladdin was continued in the form of an animated series and two sequels on VHS. In the first half of the 1990s. The video game Disneyrsquo; s Aladdin for the Sega Mega Drive console, which replicated the full-length movie, was also very popular. Cartridges with her quickly bought up, even in the CIS.
- Director: back in October 2016, it turned out that the film would be delivered by Briton Guy Ritchie, author of the sensational crime fighters Big Jackpot and Maps, money, two barrels, as well as the dilogy Sherlock Holmes. True, the last tape of Richie, the sword of King Arthur, stumbled at the box office – fees amounted to $ 148.7 million, that is, they did not even exceed the budget.
- Screenwriters: John August (; Corpse Bride, Frankenvini), Vanessa Taylor (; Form of Water, Divergent), with the participation of Guy Ritchie. It is noteworthy that the Augusta script did not suit Disney in everything, so Vanessa Taylor was entrusted to bring it to mind.
- Producer: Dan Lin (; The Departed, Death Note). Lin previously collaborated with Richie in creating Sherlock Holmes and the Game of Shadows.
The composer of the original Alan Menken participates in the work on the musical accompaniment to Aladdin’s live adaptation.
Finding candidates for leading roles has become a real headache for Disney. Casting was open and lasted from March to July 2017.
At first, Aladdin and Jasmin were looking out for young and inexperienced artists, while the applicants had to demonstrate their charisma and singing skills (in the film, there will be songs and dances).
Disney offered Richie Riza Ahmed (; Outcast One) and Virgin Patel (; A Robot named Chappi), but the director rejected both. As a result, Richie and Lin did not find the desired artists among the candidates under 20 – they had to watch more than age performers.
There were rumors in the press about American George Kosturos, Dutchman Ahraf Kotete and Tara Sutaria, a native of India.
The final list of artists involved in Aladdin, looks like this:
- Mena Massoud (there are no famous paintings behind him) – Aladdin.
- Naomi Scott (; Power Rangers) – Jasmine.
- Will Smith (; Hancock, Suicide Squad) – Genie. Smith’s participation is justified, if only because he achieved success both as a singer and not only as an actor.
- Marwan Kenzari (; Mummy, Ben-Hur) – Jafar.
- Navid Negaban (; Lost) – Sultan.
- Numan Ajar (; Escape) – Hakim, head of the guard of the sultan’s palace and the right hand of Jafar.
- Billy Magnussen (; Black Mirror) – Prince Anders, fiancé Jasmine.
- Nazim Padrad (; Lorax, Despicable Me 2) – maid and confidante Jasmine. Guy Ritchie personally prescribed this role in the script.
In the cartoon, an important role was played by Abu, Aladdin’s monkey. Will she appear in a new film version?
Shooting Aladdin was supposed to start in July 2017, but due to difficulties with casting they were postponed to September. Producers from September 2017 to January 2018 worked in England and partially in the territory of Wadi Rum, a desert in Jordan.
All the material is ready – it remains to competently carry out post-production. If you are familiar with the filmography Guy Ritchie, then blindly follow the original source do not expect. Probably, the audience will get something in the spirit of the Sword of King Arthur, that is, a bold and modern adaptation, in some places very free. The premiere is scheduled for May 24, 2019.